Bleach on Mold? Don't do it!
Here is a photo of mold damage that we came upon at a residential job last year. Our certified technicians are trained to clean up mold damage.
Mold clean-up is one of the most calls we get here at SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties and for good reason. Mold can cause illness and other harmful side effects especially in children and the elderly. Many people want to automatically turn to bleach to try and clean up the mold by themselves, because they want it gone and fast. There are many reasons not to try to clean-up mold by yourself. It's always best to call a professional, so you don't spread the mold spores, and cause an even bigger issue in your home or business.
Here are a few reasons that bleach is not a good option for your next mold damage cleanup:
- Bleach is toxic.
- Bleach loses effectiveness overtime.
- Bleach does not kill mold on porous surfaces and can actually contribute to mold growth.
Don't clean up the mold yourselves, call your local SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties. We'll make it "Like it never even happened."
IICRC Water Damage Restoration Technician (WRT) Courses
Candace, our Marketing Rep, learning all about the best practices to clean up your water damage.
Our team recently went to Bowling Green, Kentucky for a three day course on becoming IICRC-accredited Water Damage Restoration Technician (WRT) certified. This course teaches basic education for technicians and other team members in the science and practice of water damage restoration. Our marketing team went to learn more ways to help our customers. Candace, our Marketing Representative said: "It's awesome that our company sends all team members to these training's. No one teaches their employees about their services better than SERVPRO. I can't wait to get back to Kentucky and start helping my customers with everything I've been taught in this course." This course covered extraction, basic containment and basic mold procedures. Our team is back and ready to make your damages "Like it never even happened."
What's that smell?
Contact us for your fire, smoke, soot, and other smell removal.
Are you a business owner or in charge of a commercial property? Have you ever noticed any smells that could be pushing away business or a nuisance?
SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties is here to help! We provide Odor Removal and Deodorization to our customers. We are expertly trained in getting rid of those smells that make you want to leave a business --or even worse, fear for your employees and customers for those harmful odors.
We can identify and eliminate those offensive odors. We know it can lead to the worst of times with customers when there's a bad smell in the air.
Call your local SERVPRO --we have ozone machines and other techniques to get your property back to smelling "Like it never even happened."
Summer Fire Safety Tips to Minimize Fire Damage
It's that time of year again that everyone wants to pull out the grill and barbecue every night. We agree, but we also want you and your family to stay safe this summer season. Below are a few tips from FEMA to keep you stay grilling fire free this summer:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills must only be used outdoors.
- Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas, and foot traffic. Grills should be positioned at least 10 feet away from siding, deck railing, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep matches, lighters, and starter fluid out of the reach of children in a locked drawer or cabinet.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area: declare a three-foot "kid-free zone" around the grill.
Remember these tips and you'll help minimize your chances of a fire damage!
Emergency Kit for Summer Storms
The summer weather is coming in fast this year, with heat waves, summer storms, and flooding right around the corner. It's always a good idea to keep your family safe by having an emergency preparedness kit just in case. Our friends at the American Red Cross suggest these items for your kit. Of course all items should be personalized to fit your family's needs.
- According to the American Red Cross a first aid kit may include:
- non-latex gloves
- assortment of adhesive bandages
- antibiotic ointment
- sterile gauze pads in assorted sizes
- absorbent compress dressings
- adhesive cloth tape
- aspirin packets (81 mg each)
- first aid instruction booklet
- A 3–5 day supply of bottled water and nonperishable food
- Personal hygiene items
- Blankets or sleeping bags
London Church Fire
Right down the road from our office in London, KY a church fire needed our help. SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties was here to help. We got the call and were at the fire within the day.
The church had water damage from the sprinkler system with severe smoke and soot damage to pews and flooring. The church did not want to replace the valuable pews, so restoration was their favorite option.
Their bathrooms and entry way were covered in debris as well. We sent a large team to help cover this commercial fire loss.
Our crew had this fire damage cleaning done within two weeks, so that church could resume on Easter Sunday as scheduled. Our team worked long nights and hours to make this fire damage "Like it never even happened."
Mold Damage at Residential Property
We see a wide variety of mold damage in this industry that is hard to identify for customers at times. Mold can come in a many different shapes, sizes, and colors. One particular job was in a residential home that had mold behind their bathroom toilet.
The customers knew that the first rule of mold is to not try to clean it with bleach. The customers called SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties to take care of this in a professional manner.
Our techs use a special microbial straight from the SERVPRO labs. The mold in this Somerset home did not stand a chance against our hero techs.
They cleaned the mold, made the customer satisfied, and did a job well done for SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties.
Summer Time can Bring Broken Pipes for Your Home
Summer has arrived!
After a long winter of not being able to do yard work, gardening or working on that lawn you are so proud of – it is finally time to turn on that water spigot outside and get to work!
Unfortunately, that water spigot has a surprise in store for you. Many times, these outside sources of water freeze during the winter time without anyone knowing that they are frozen. Only when someone finally turns on the water for the first time does the damaged pipe become known. SERVPRO® of Pike, Floyd, & Knott Counties handles many of these calls each spring. Someone comes in from a good day of work in the yard to find a flooded house or flooded basement from that water pipe they just had on.
Let the water damage experts at SERVPRO® of Pike, Floyd, & Knott Counties take care of any of your water damage needs. Enjoy the summer time and call SERVPRO if you need us!
Home Pool Safety
We hope your pool doesn't cause water damage, but if it does --call SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties.
It's summertime (finally!) It's time for sprinklers, swimming pools, cookouts, and catching fireflies as the sun goes down. It's all fun and games, but there's ways for the fun to be ruined. SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties wants you and your family to be safe this season.
Our friends at Red Cross have some safety tips for Home Swimming Pool Safety that we'd like to share with you:
- Secure your swimming pool with the right barriers between the pool and the outside
- ALWAYS supervise anyone (children and adults) who don't know how to swim
- Keep life saving devices nearby, like life jackets
- Enforce rules and regulations for the pool that everyone knows upon entry
It's a fun time for all --let's keep it safe too!
Let's go to the beach --let's go get away!
It's that time of year again where swimsuits are being packed and sunscreen is being applied --it's beach season!
We are excited for our customers to get away for the summer and enjoy all the sun and sea salt life has to offer. There are a few things to keep in mind when vacationing at the beach.
Here are a few safety tips from our friends at the American Red Cross:
- Have young children and inexperienced swimmers wear appropriately approved life jackets
- Pay close attention to children and the elderly while at the beach
- Keep a close watch on oceanic life --jellyfish, starfish, and patches of plants (leave these alone)
We hope everyone has a great vacation season, and enjoys the beach! It's always important to have some fun!